[Nottingham] Cheapie Via C3 replacement?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Dec 17 15:40:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 03:25:42PM +0000, Martin wrote:
> Has anyone got any suggestions for something similar that has or can
> have two ethernet ports and 6 or more "USB 2" ports?

Viglen MPC-L. It has 6 USB ports, 2xUSB1.1 and 4xUSB2. It only has one
Ethernet device, but I added an Apple USB to Ethernet adapter and it's
working fine as my firewall.

> Preferably, something that can go diskless and fanless? :-)

It has a 2.5" laptop hard disk but you could replace that with an IDE/CF
adapter and it would then be silent and cooler.

> Are there any AMD geode systems available or are they not a good idea?

The Viglen is AMD Geode based.

You can get a Vigle79GBP inc VAT+P&P to the UK and includes a keyboard and
mouse. If you listen to season 1, episode 11 of the Ubuntu UK Podcast you'll
find out the details.

Normally they're ~100GBP +VAT+P&P so it's quite a good deal.

http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/2008/07/31/s01e11-blowin-in-the-wind/

Cheers,
Al.