[Nottingham] From USENET: [All Of Our Systems Are Down]

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 20:41:39 UTC 2009

The Lost Packet wrote:
> Spotted this just now, I think it says it all for the state of this
> country and one of the most important underlying causes...

[---]

> I hear this a lot these days, in fact I hear it with alarming frequency:
>
>     "All of our systems are down"

[---]

> So what /are/ these "systems", and why are they "down"?
>
> They are CRM and PBAX "systems" running on commodity PCs...

And likely without redundancy or any immediate form of backup, all
overloaded, and "administered" by deliberately deskilled anonymous
remote "1st-line" staff.

It might just be that a certain OS has been very heavily marketed on
supposedly being so simple to use that even monkeys can run a server farm...

So... On that note...

How many "Engineers" and how many visits does it take to have one fibre
bundle and one coaxial cable installed into a building?

(That includes two modems and one Cisco router.)

Oh, and all just for a commonplace 'default' install.

Guesses?

martin at ml1.co.uk