[Nottingham] HP Scanjet 5300c Scanner

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 6 21:31:58 UTC 2009

Ray Lindley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been given the above which I cannot get to work in linux
> ubuntu-xsane or mint.
>
> Can anyone advise please?
>
> Ray

OK, here's the short version:

The ScanJet 5300C is a repackaged Avision scanner, so you'll need this
module in the installer set. Here's the run:

sane 1.0.12-2+ (this contains the avision backend for the 5300c)
sane-utils 1.0.14-5+
libsane 1.0.14-5+ (don't know if this is needed but what the hey)
xsane 0.94-3ubuntu1+

dmesg gives:

Vendor: HP Model: ScanJet 5300C Rev: 6.00
Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02 *
usbcore: registered new driver hpusbscsi
usbcore: registered new driver hiddev

*Yes, it's a USB scanner but it uses the generic SCSI kernel module. I
don't know why, it just is.

sane-find-scanner gives:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0701) at libusb:001:002
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

enable a line in /etc/sane.d/avision.conf as follows:

usb libusb:001:002

and have libusb find the scanner for you.

Remember to add your user to the "camera" group or you won't have enough
rights to access the device.

Caveat: I've had this issue in SuSE 9.2 with the same scanner, and had
to come up with a workaround to solve it as there's no other way I can
see to correct it - the RGB elements of the scanned image are off each
other by 1 pixel. This is easily corrected in The GIMP. I think it could
be down to the fact that the scanner head uses interlaced RGB elements
in the sensor CCD and the driver interprets this incorrectly. Windows
drivers get around it by correcting and extrapolating the scanned image,
which can result in discolouration in high resolutions. That said, it is
an awesome scanner. Do you happen to have a spare one with the
docfeeder? Mine somehow managed to end up in the garage and caught the
roof when it collapsed...

--
TLP

 - Last night I played a blank tape at full volume. The mime next door went nuts.

 - No, I will not fix your computer.

 - Thought: It must be a bitch to write your name in the snow in Arabic...

 - Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

 - Rice: 1.4 billion Chinese can't all be wrong.

 - I'm dreaming of a better world where chickens can cross the road and not have their motives questioned!

 - If you can make a cheesecake you can install a Linux driver from source.

 - Don't listen to the do-gooders, condoms are useless. They split, they leak and they burst. And the human stomach can't handle the impact of two kilos of cocaine.

*#* Signoff: labo-rat (find / -name \*yourbase\* -exec chown us:us {} \;)