[Nottingham] HDDs, SSDs, system speedups (Was: Nottingham Digest, Vol 300, Issue 8)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jul 20 14:47:21 UTC 2009

Richard Ward wrote:
> tony atkins wrote:
>> boring
[---]

>> 64bits + sata drive and you are cooking
>
> Now, sata drives *are* brilliant. When I got my first it felt like the
> biggest single jump in speed I'd experienced from upgrading a part since
> I first bought a Hardware T&L graphics card. Though its possible the
> drive I had prior to that was just rubbish. Also the cables are much
> nicer than the horrible old grey ribbon cables. And no finger hurting
> molexes (molices?) to worry about.

The next big jump is to go all solid-state with SSDs or whatever
incarnation of flash storage or whatever.

Note that the first generation of SSDs were crap. The present generation
look a bit better. The way to go is with a revamped SSD controller that
*transparently* implements RAID0/1/10 across multiple flash chips and
with intelligent wear levelling. A big plus will be gained when
filesystems also report to the SSD when sectors become free for reuse.

The next jump is to have a really clever controller that directly
implements the filesystem on the SSD for you...

martin at ml1.co.uk