[Nottingham] Connect to WPA wireless using command line

Rory Holland modestforagenius at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 6 15:11:41 UTC 2009

1) I'm assuming you have wpa-supplicant. If you don't, you need it.
2) Open or create (as root) /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf Here's what's in
mine (edited for security reasons ):
Code:

ap_scan=1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
        ssid="*YOUR_NETWORK_ID_GOES_HERE*"
        scan_ssid=0
        proto=WPA
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        psk="*YOUR_PRESHARED_KEY_GOES_HERE*"
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
}

3) reboot

2009/9/6 Simon Sleaford <simon.sleaford at gmail.com>:
> Hi
> I'm trying to connect to my wireless network at home from the command line
> on a machine that isn't running X. These are the steps that I have taken so
> far:
> 1 Make sure my wireless adaptor is recognised:
> iwconfig
> Recognises the RaLink RT2860 adaptor in my netbook correctly (designated
> ra0)
> 2. Scan for wireless network:
> iwlist ra0 scan
> Correctly sees my sky router and tells me that it is using WPA encryption.
> 3. This is where it seems to go wrong, when I try to connect using the
> following command
> iwconfig ra0 essid "SKYRouter" key s:mywirelesskey
> I get no output following the command so assume it has worked but cannot
> ping the router and have no IP address.
>

> Can anybody help me out with what I'm doing incorrectly?
> Thanks
> Simon

Please avoid sending me encrypted Microsoft Office attachments (Word,
Excel, Powerpoint)