[Nottingham] File copying filesystem -> filesystem

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 11:26:36 UTC 2009

Folks,

There's many ways to copy files around, but which is the 'best'?

OK, so I'm converting from ReiserFS 3.6 over to the newer ext4. That's
mainly to take advantage of the new "extents" feature in ext4 that is
very good for BIG disks and large files.

So... How best to do it?

Copy the file hierarchy across depth-first or breadth-first?

Or just use "cp -a" or "tar -c -C /mnt/old_drive dirs | tar -x -C
/mnt/new_drive" and simply not worry about how things happen?

Or?

Being as I've got nice new cleanly formatted drives, it would be nice to
cleanly load them up with files.

Any thoughts?

martin at ml1.co.uk