[Nottingham] Large disks and storage

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 13:55:59 UTC 2009

There's been a lot of talk on here about large disks and filesystems
lately. What do people think about LVM and LVM2? Is it in a good
state?

I've had a few gripes, mainly that there aren't good graphical tools
for working with storage, but also that once I started using LVM2 my
cherished ancient rescue CDs would no longer be able to mount and
rescue partitions on modern systems...

The way I see it, things like LVM could be more of a problem than mere
filesystems for long term maintenance of storage. And that's before
using any form of encryption etc.

-Cam