[Nottingham] Large disks and storage

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 9 12:19:06 UTC 2009

@Camilo: I wouldn't count on anything short of an offsite mirror for
data security - what if there were a fire? Any backups you have would
suffer the same fate as your working system if the building were
gutted*.
For integrity against a disk failure, that depends a lot on the setup:
one disk failing in a JBoD stack would mean the loss of any and all
data on that disk, permanently. Failure of one side of a mirror is
recoverable, just pray that something doesn't go wrong while the array
is rebuilt (which is likely since a rebuild pushes the mechanics of
all drives in any array to their limits). Same as for RAID5, except
RAID5 isn't nearly as wasteful as a RAID1 (mirror) and the fact that
it utilises a (single) set of distributed parity data means that in a
single-disk failure, chances are good that if no other problems exist,
*no* data is lost. A RAID6 uses *two* distributed sets of parity data,
hence can (theoretically) lose up to 2 of the disks in the array
before any data loss occurs. This is a huge plus on the side of RAID6,
and I'm actually surprised to see a distinct lack of it in most
enterprise class server literature as an option.

*My data might be just movies and music and several thousand
photographs, but every so often I ship out an incremental update to a
mirror which is located in a different /city/. Call me paranoid, but
nothing short of a global thermonuclear war or the unlikely event that
the storage at both ends is otherwise suddenly and catastrophically
compromised will deprive me of my Armin van Buuren!