[Nottingham] Best Server Distro?

Richard Ward daedalusfall at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 22:48:44 UTC 2009

AFAIK the i686 chip-set's instructions are a superset of the i386 (with
i486 and i586 in the middle) so anything i386 will run on i(3/4/5/6)86,
but it may not have certain optimizations turned on that are only
supported in the more recent instruction sets. For example i586 added
MMX (does everyone remember all those tacky PC World adverts where the
customers were getting excited when they found out that the Intel chips
they were buying had MMX Technology?). i386 will certainly be what you
are after. If you are desperate for speed you can find a distro that has
a specific version compiled for i686, but its probably not worth it.