[Nottingham] 10 shortcuts to master bash, backgrounding, and screen

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 16 13:36:32 UTC 2009

Hey,

On 16 Sep 2009, at 14:15, Martin wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Something nicely useful I've just stumbled across whilst searching
> for a
> once-in-a-while used dusty command:
>
> 10 shortcuts to master bash
> http://www.builderau.com.au/program/linux/print.htm?TYPE=story&AT=339279043-339028299t-320002022c

The various history navigation commands, documented at [0] are
indispensable for me - they make my shell life so much more efficient.
The article doesn't mention that you can repeat sequences of commands
by finding one (for example with C-r) and hitting C-o instead of enter
to execute. After this finished, your prompt will be pre-filled with
the next command in the history. Magic or wot?

Iain

[0] http://ronny.haryan.to/archives/2005/03/14/tip-history-search-in-bash/