[Nottingham] Creepier, snootier, and more insistent than Mac owners?

Simon Osborne flibble at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 23:23:50 UTC 2009

2009/9/29 Jim Moore <jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com>:
> Bob Marshall wrote:
>> Oh yes, it was - but did you read about 'the other operating systems
>> available' and their adherents?  Mac-heads came out of this reasonably
>> intact!  Now where is Stephen Fry when you need him?
>>
>> Bob M.
>>
> <snip>
>
> I was buying a new printer yesterday (Currys have a nice HP at £29.99),
> and out of idle curiosity, asked where the Linux netbooks are.
> Dumbfounded stare is what I got back.
> OK, says I, where is the Linux option? On any machine in here?
> Again, dumbfounded stare.
> Alright, says I, where is the bare option? No operating system?
> Oh, we don't do that, says "Stuart". It's part of the system.
> Hate to tell him software is NOT part of the package - contract law says
> when you buy the hardware you're buying the hardware, getting physical
> goods in exchange for cashmoney gives you statutory coverage and
> consumer protection. No such coverage exists for software (hell you have
> to ACCEPT a license agreement indemnifying the software makers against
> damages claims before you get to use it!) hence it CANNOT be considered
> part of the package, hence it CAN be removed.
>
> That's just my opinion, ICBW.

Almost all software on computers has been subsidised by the relevant
companies (Microsoft, mainly). A computer package in a store is
exactly that - a package. Hardware, software, wires, etc. If you buy a
new computer with Windows and you want to use Linux, then install
Linux. The hardware warranty still stands, nobody suffers because of
it and you can go about your day without worrying. There is really no
point mentioning random laws which may or may not exist as it just
makes you look crazy. But then again, aren't all Linux users meant to
be crazy?

Simon - who isn't that crazy.. yet