[Nottingham] BBC iPlayer

Richard Ward daedalusfall at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 13:36:30 UTC 2009

Simon Sleaford wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I'm trying to use BBC iPlayer on my lowly netbook. What's confusing me
> is that streaming the programmes works without a hitch, fluid fullscreen
> playback. If I download the files for offline watching then it really
> struggles, with lots of dropped frames. I've tried disabling compiz and
> it makes no difference at all. This is frustraing for me because I have
> a slow connection at home but a very fast one at work so I'd rather
> download  a few files to watch in the evenings when streaming isn't
> possible.
>
> Other than buying a beefier machine (not possible currently) can anybody
> give me any suggestions of things to try to get this working a little
> better?
>
> For the record, I'm running Ubuntu 9.04, restricted codecs installed,
> flash player 10 installed. Netbook is a EEE1000h with 2gb of RAM.
>
> Cheers
>
> Simon

I assume you are using the new Adobe Air thing that the bbc have? I
haven't tried to download any programs since they introduced that. Its
possible that the linux version of Air is slow as its less mature than
flash, I don't know.

What I use is get_iplayer (http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/). I
actually heard about it from this mailing list, and have been using it
since. It allows download of streams in various formats/qualities for
use in whatever media player you like. Its a command line app, but quite
easy to use. There are GUIs available for it
(http://www.google.co.uk/#q=get_iplayer+gui) though I have not tried
them. You'll also need to grab flvstreamer (see the FAQ on the
get_iplayer site or the docs). If you have any trouble getting it up and
running then shout up.

I believe the software is legal in this country (I believe that parts of
it are not in the US for example) and I believe that it does not break
the terms and conditions of the iPlayer if you don't keep your
downloaded files for more than 30 days, but to cover my back I suggest
that you determine this for yourself :).

Hope that helps.
Richard