[Nottingham] New distro for netbook and configure as wireless bridge

TJ linux at tjworld.net
Wed May 19 11:52:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 11:41 +0000, Ashley wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a wired network connection to my netbook (Acer Aspire One ZG5,
> which also has a wireless interface).  What is required to set it up
> as a bridge to provide a wireless connection to the wired network for
> a smart-phone (Android Nexus One)?

Depends very much on whether you want to bridge the wired and wireless
interfaces (traffic goes on both interfaces) or route which will only
put traffic on the wireless interface for wireless clients.

Routing is cleaner, and should be set up by default when the wireless
connection is up (check 'ip route show' for routing table). It can also
be set up using NetworkManager or manually via a script when the
interface comes up, triggered from /etc/network/interfaces with post-up
and pre-down scripts. See "man interfaces".