[Nottingham] NLUG: What's in a name?

Roger Light roger at atchoo.org
Fri Jun 10 08:02:17 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Joshua Lock <incandescant at gmail.com> wrote:

> How about Nottingham
> GNU/Mozilla/GNOME/KDE/Freedesktop/Apache/LibreOffice/AdInfinitum/Linux?
> :-)

I couldn't find any information about AdInfinitum - sounds good though!

On a more serious note, Pedro Côrte-Real has done an analysis of the
lines of code of the main repository in Ubuntu. This is the core
distribution and includes all packages regardless of whether they are
likely to be installed or not. This works in for and against both
sides of the argument.

http://pedrocr.net/text/how-much-gnu-in-gnu-linux

So a headline figure of 8% of the total, if you don't include gnome as
part of gnu, which I don't suppose many people do these days. If you
replace gcc, glibc and binutils with alternatives, as he suggests is
possible, then you're talking around 4% of the total, less than
Mozilla, less than KDE, less than Gnome, less than Java.

Like Joshua says though, from the point of the group the important
point is whether it will bring more people in. Personally, and perhaps
controversially, I say just call it what you want. The days of the
lugs as was are over and nominal membership is only going to decline.

Cheers,

Roger