[Nottingham] Router to Router?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:58:54 UTC 2011

Had a minor victory today in that I got my ancient Belkin DSL modem/router
to act a switch when plugged into the Virgin Superhub - even if it was just
a case of "guess the option" and making random changes until it worked.
 I'll have to use this until the new switch arrives (Netgear G608, Gigabit,
8 port jobby - any opinions?).  I'd just like to check that I've not done
anything monumentally stupid with my kludge.

I've left the Superhub alone (it runs the DHCP, wireless etc).  The Belkin
is connected to the Superhub via one of its Ethernet ports.  On the Belkin
I have disabled DHCP, Firewall, Wireless etc and told it to use the
Internet WAN in "Dynamic IP (1438 bridged)" mode, all DNS settings left at
"Auto from ISP".  I also changed its LAN IP to be in the range used by the
Superhub, subnets are the same. Prior to this it was refusing to even
acknowledge the the Superhub.

Laptops plugged into the Belkin are getting IPs assigned from the Superhub
OK and access to the Internet is working (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't
be writing this).  I can also access the set-up pages of both routers.

Does all this seem sensible enough for an interim solution?

J.
ps This reminds me just how much I need to go back and complete that HP
networking course I signed up for.