[Nottingham] Nottingham Digest, Vol 438, Issue 5

James Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 9 01:17:06 UTC 2012

On 07/04/2012 16:47, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 07/04/12 15:17, Hazel Windle wrote:
>> Hi everyone.
> Hello and welcome.
>
>> Have been using Linux since 2003
> Ah - expert then.  I've only been using it for a couple of years.  I
> find if you memorise the jargon and look earnest, people believe you
> know what you are doing. :)
>
> As to Backtrack (Debian based these days, if not even Ubuntu), one of
> the recent Linux Format issues was "How to hack" and the magazine came
> with a copy of "Damn Vulnerable Linux" (I think) and some other stuff
> that is deliberately vulnerable to exploits so people can learn.
> http://www.linuxformat.com/archives?issue=154

<snip>

Lemme stop you right there - I heard one a few years back (probably
around '03, actually), went something like this:

So I downloaded a copy of DVL (DamnVulnerableLinux), that went OK, then
came to install it. First clue that it was exactly what it said on the
tin was the Microsoft EULA I had to click through during the setup...

Cheers,

JM