[Nottingham] 18th Jan 2012: The internet goes dark (SOPA, PIPA, UK-DEA)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 16:58:11 UTC 2012

On 18/01/12 00:40, Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We try to keep this list non-political. However, there are some aspects
> too significant to ignore. I think this rates up even greater than the
> UEFI lock-out...
>
> (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFI
> http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot

Add to that the latest twist:

Windows 8 hardware rules 'derail user-friendly Linux'
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/18/windows_8_linux_secure_boot/

> )
>

> On a day parts of the internet darken, a letter to my MP:

Avaaz has picked up the cause of our threatened internet:

Blackout -- Save the Internet Today
http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_internet_signing_h/?cTJkBab

"... We are turning the tide. But the dark forces of censorship are
trying to revive the bill right now. Let’s bury it for good today. Click
to sign this emergency petition to save the Internet now..."

Even though this is an American debacle, we also have parallels here in
the UK legislation that is worth highlighting to our MPs.

It is all a question of our freedoms.

martin at ml1.co.uk