[Nottingham] "ntpq -p" displayed flags

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 20:58:42 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
> The claim for PTP is in microseconds. I just wonder if NTP achieves
> similar results for a cluster synchronised across a LAN?

I think PTP can out-perform NTP in the case where it makes use of
hardware timestamping - it avoids the error introduced by device
drivers and the OS. This is beyond what NTP was designed to do. PTP
should enable ethernet to be used for telecoms applications that
require strict synchronisation, which would otherwise be provided over
dedicated (expensive) lines...

I've seen some lab hardware that demonstrates this but I'm not working
on it at the moment :)

-Cam