[Nottingham] imap is duplicating emails multiple times...

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Jul 13 14:20:03 UTC 2012

On 13/07/12 15:01, James Moore wrote:
> Could it be something to do with the fact that mobiles &suchdevices
> email clients (most, in fact, by default) replicate email messages for
> the client and leave the original on the server (hence the identical
> nature of the messages - so checksums still resolve?)? There is a
> setting in Thunderbird to defeat this behaviour, though I would advise
> against it - leave the original on the server until it's dealt with or
> you're sure that you don't need it anymore, then use account tools to
> delete the message from the server.

???

Really?...

For reading or caching a message, why/how would that message be
deliberately replicated on the imap server?

Equally, why would a cached message be uploaded back onto the server? Or
as a new message id?...

But...

imap changes the filename to register changes in read/unread and tags
state... Could multiple devices reading the same message at the same
time lock each other out from in effect changing the filename to record
message status?...

What is the imap response to that?...

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg