[Nottingham] nonplussed (digital signing)

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Wed Mar 21 18:04:44 UTC 2012

On 21/03/12 16:56, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 21/03/12 16:34, Dan Caseley wrote:
>> Doesn't RIPA only cover company mail services?
>
> That's a question that Paul (or possibly someone else) could answer
> better than me but AIUI Part Three, Section 49 of RIPA compels you
> hand-over crypto keys and/or decrypted files when asked to do so under
> penalty of jail (max 2 years).  The UK has jailed mentally-ill people
> for their failure to hand-over keys.
>
> It's a more confused in the USA (which has anti-self incrimination on
> its statutes) and somewhat bizarrely they can force you to hand-over key
> depending exactly how they ask.  I don't even pretend to understand all
> the legal ins-and-outs.
>
> Does this solve the problem?  I dunno, but it does fuel the cyrpto
> arms-race.

RIPA covers all communications. But and it's an interesting but - the UK Government
intercepts ALL emails and has done so since the late 1980's. As an ex-ISP I was asked to
keep and monitor ALL email traffic. GCHQ and the USA with the help of all ISPs monitor ALL
your emails and have done so throughout the growth of the internet.

To think or suggest that such interception is "Unlawful" and that emails are not going
through filters is misguided.  I also had a mate who worked for the post office and he was
asked to open people's mail - by our own intelligence community - as they were not offering
to pay him for his trouble who told them to "fuck off."

Also in  the mid 70's the public phone network - telephone boxes were monitored in so-called
"hot-spots" mainly aimed at the Irish community in London. There were something like 7,200
people in the home security forces who's sole purpose was interception of all communications
media in the UK.

The police film at every demonstration - they also pass this info to our intelligence
services. They also subscribe to every lefty magazine.OK so they may be all from the middle
classes with a uni degree and conservative in thought and by nature but they all believe in
the queen and the sovereignty of government.

The nature of government is to believe in itself as all-powerful. An elitist and well-bred
rule - gone are the days when a Michael Foot or a Tony Benn could rise up - Eton provides
for those that rule.

Nah I don't think we live in an open democracy. You have to come from the "right" family and
the "right" school and think the "right" thoughts.

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the kind.
Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No delusion.”