[Nottingham] the demise of gnome-3

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Tue May 1 17:28:48 UTC 2012

On 1 May 2012 10:10, david at gbenet.com <david at gbenet.com> wrote:

> On 01/05/12 17:21, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> > On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM, david at gbenet.com <david at gbenet.com>
> wrote:
> >> Gnome-3's crap
> >
> > Must try harder!
> >
> > There are ways to do things that don't involve the desktop icons and
> > having to minimise to see them. If you really have to use the old
> > style of working, I think you can still do all those things if you
> > install gnome-tweak-tool. You can enable minimise and the desktop.
> >
> > Have you tried installing gnome-tweak-tool? It's a whole lot easier
> > than a machine reinstall.
> >
> > -Cam

> Hi Cam,
>
> Whilst you can make tiny tweaks - there is no root at logon - there is no
> zero support for
> HP wireless printers there is no command to copy when selected multiple
> files unless you
> move the curser into the folder and then right click when selecting files
> - the delete
> function is greyed out - you can not put icons on your desktop and if that
> was not bad
> enough then Ubuntu with gnome-3 looks and behaves like the crap that they
> intended it to be.
> Gnome-tweaks has been cut down to make  it entirely useless by the
> Ubuntu/Microsoft developers.
>
> The Ubuntu branding is much the same as Microsofts. Ubuntu offers a
> crippled end-user
> experience of Linux. In fact their target market is those that are used to
> a Microsoft
> environment - and Ubuntu offers those end users a Ubuntu/Microsoft
> experience. As I said
> Ubuntu is a  load of bollocks.

I thought you were talking about GNOME3? You appear to have drifted off
into Ubuntu bashing and then Microsoft bashing.

I understand that many, many folks don't like GNOME3 but I am ashamed by
the proliferation of FUD and shameless bashing.

Further, everything you've stated can't be done in GNOME 3 in fact can, at
least in the case where you haven't confused distribution choices with the
desktop environment. I've used GNOME3 for the past year and do pretty much
all of those things daily.

Regards,
Joshua
--