[Nottingham] hplip what' wrong?

James Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Wed May 2 16:12:56 UTC 2012

On 02/05/2012 14:58, david at gbenet.com wrote:

> On 02/05/12 14:12, Martin wrote:
>> [---]
>>
>>> My printer is set to 192.168.1.72 - having spent 4 days with
>>> opensuse I can only conclude that there is no support for my HP
>>> Photosmart C4780 wireless printer. The HP set up programme
>>> recognises that I have a temporary usb device and identifies the
>>> printer correctly but when you unplug the usb device you have lost
>>> your printer.
>>> The default utilities in YAST are useless - being unable to find
>>> my printer - even when I tell it where is and give the correct
>>> name. No Cups server will  find my printer. Unless I plug in the
>>> usb cable. ...
>> Mmmm... Sounds like a little sympathy and understanding is needed for
>> the software and the hardware arrangement.
>>

>> So...
>>
>> It *does work* but only when you have the usb lead plugged directly
>> into your PC?
>>
>> And it *sometimes* works when you are using a WiFi dongle?
>>

>> I'm an engineer and so I do not believe in "black magic" nor "black
>> box - keep out!" signs ;-)
>>
>> Presumably you've had your wireless printer (or "multifunction"
>> device?) working previously somehow?
>>
>> And "4 days" does sound rather frustrating! Perhaps this is where
>> software in general needs to report more user-friendly messages?...
>>

>> Discuss further at tonight's meet?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Martin

> Hi Martin,
>
> There is only connection when I plug in a usb cable - take it out and no printer. Leave it
> unplugged i.e. no usb cable and no YAST printer utilities will connect to it. And to make
> matters worse there is no terminal support - ie you could once upon a time type aat a
> terminal hplip now that has been dropped off by HP. You now have an entirely useless bit of
> junk software installed HP GUI - which only supports - yes you guessed it USB Printers.
> There is NO SUPPORT FOR WIRELESS PRINTERS.
>
> I will be in need of a beer!!!!

I think I'm going to be filtering this thread, but not before I've said
what I've had to say:

Ranting and screaming is not the way to get help. It gets you filtered.
I'm pretty sure there's more than one person on this list who has a
working wireless printer on SuSE, or knows someone who does. I'm also
pretty sure they'd be willing to give you a step-by-step, but like me
they're not willing to go step-by-step with someone who acts as if
they're about to toss their equipment at a wall just because one bit of
software doesn't work. Even I am not that daft.

JM