[Nottingham] feel like a newbie all over again

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Tue May 15 07:31:56 UTC 2012

On 14/05/12 21:51, Godfrey Nix wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This move I have made to openSUSE has left me feeling like an absolute
> beginner. I seem unable to do even the simplest of things with YAST2 (what
> packages are installed, what packages are available and not installed, what
> files are in a package, what are its dependancies)
>
> I feel at the moment to be going round in circles with the documentation.
>
> I am putting myself through this as a company I know is thinking of moving its
> Solaris servers to SUSE and I wanted a first look-see.
>
> Basically, I now have a working machine, but without any printer (turboprint
> is not installed, AFAIK, but see above) and unable to get either Oracle
> virtualBox or vpnc-nortel compiled. I keep getting errors relating to pkg-
> config-path not being defined and unable to locate gnutls.pc
>
> Sadly until all this is sorted I am having to revert to a Win**** machine to
> make connection with the office.
>
> Any suggestions to help this old-timer?
>
> Regards,
> Godfrey
>
> "The best-beloved of all things in My sight is Justice"

Hello and Welcome Godfrey,

The thing about opensuse is to do things in steps. The first step is to open Yast and do a
repository update - and choose refresh. Next do an update - which may take some time. Then
do your package searches - if you can't find your package - open you web browser which loads
the suse home page - click on "get it" - then in the search bar type in the name of what you
are looking for. In so far as your printer is concerned - go to the manufacturers web site -
append Linux on  the name of your printer and see if they offer Linux support.

In the good old days "apt" got installed -- apt's good at installing programmes you would
type sudo (be root user) apt-get install then your file name. Now you have to install the
package apt separately I could send you a lot of How to's on suse and a learn Linux :

Perhaps you will be at the meet this evening? Also open a Terminal - much like a Dos prompt
and type gpg2 -k - have fun! And Welcome!

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html