[Nottingham] Running Ubuntu at Nottingham Uni

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Thu May 24 15:14:52 UTC 2012

On 24/05/12 13:07, ForkBombFluf wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2012, Louise Brown wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> They're not overenthusiastic about it but they set up my machine with Windows and Ubuntu.
>> What they say is that they don't support Linux (maybe that explains the lack of response
>> to my query).  I think if you've a good reason they'll do it for you.  In my case I'm
>> running a cross-platform open source project so I have to know that the software builds in
>> Linux before I release it.
>
> Hi Louise, (& Cat too!),
>
> No, most won't be overenthusiastic, unfortunately, but that's because the majority are
> employed for their Windows proficiency, rather than familiarity with Linux. The journey into
> the less-known is a lot more effort when there's already a queue full of more familiar
> (read: easier to do) jobs to complete.
>
> I checked this morning, and the official word is that Linux is indeed "unsupported" in the
> eyes of Information Services.  That is not to say you *can't* get support for it, though,
> just that there are no official SLA's in place for it, so it becomes very much hit and miss
> depending upon whose lap the job falls into, how much they know about it, and how much time
> they have to dedicate to it at that moment.
>
> There is certainly no moratorium on running Linux at the University. Many people like
> yourself require it for multi-platform software development or to run applications which
> simply don't exist for Windows. There are certainly aspects of University research that just
> couldn't function without it, especially (and not surprisingly) in the science and
> engineering arenas!
>
> There is talk of developing some sort of framework for "official" support of OS's other than
> Microsoft Windows within IS, but progress is somewhat slow and hindered by the emergence of
> some very diverse ideas about how it should all be managed, and who by.
>
> Different departments have different needs, so the "one size fits all" concept often doesn't
> work out in reality quite the way management had envisioned it, nor quite in the way the
> vendors (in the case of externally purchased solutions, such as storage, printing, etc.) had
> promised them.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Stef

Afternoon Stef,

I am quite surprised that there is no Linux support. That all your IT staff are Microsoft
Engineers - how on earth did they get their degrees? As you point out the majority of
science departments need Linux - space research to archaeology - what happens when these
departments have a "problem?" I suspect that all their staff have an IT Degree and not one
given to them by Microsoft!

Anyway - for a uni not to support Linux is real short sighted!

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html - http://gbenet.com