[Nottingham] For info Fedora 17 out today

Brian Pickford brian at brianpickford.co.uk
Tue May 29 15:46:51 UTC 2012

On 29 May 2012 15:59, david at gbenet.com <david at gbenet.com> wrote:

> All major distros at one time had root login as a default. Opensuse still
> has it as does
> Linux Mint. So why suddenly have these distros thought "Oh blimey let's
> get rid of root so
> that end users can not dig into their systems!"

This is a non sequitur,  user can dig into their systems where the root
account is disabled by default.
This seems to be just plain wrong as a assertion - many times over the last
few weeks you have claimed it has been removed. It is disabled by default,
you can re-enable it, this has been pointed out every time you make this
claim.

> When Linux was first introduced - everybody was allowed to play. That
> principle has lasted
> a good 12 to 15 years. Some distros have no apt-get in the file
> repositories. What if they
> decided not to include encryption? And to make matters worse not include
> it in their
> downloads? I think you would be upset by that - especially since gpg
> 1.4.11 in all its
> flavours has been installed as a default for many many years.

I am guilty of not knowing or caring about the version of gpg - but you can
build from source and maintain a repository of your own for Suse, Fedora
and Ubuntu (and others I guess) as a service to the community, if you so
choose.

> We are talking about principle here - who decides - what users can and can
> not do. What
> software they are allowed to install and so on. It is a slippery slope.
> I've already
> mentioned Seahorse - in the original package you can set the passphrase
> time - now that
> function has been edited out.#

I remember using Suse to build from source 10 years ago, I don't want to go
back to that method. The dependency issues sucked up too much time. I
prefer the Ubuntu package management on the rare occasion that I have to
build from source today.
Are you saying that you can't gain access to the source and add that
functionality back, compile it and share it?

> Linux was once free and open source - even Ubuntu has changed to being a
> closed shop. The
> Ubuntu you have now is very very much different from the Ubuntu of 5 years
> ago. If your
> mind does not grasp the changes to your distro - what then?

The talk 10 years ago was about how linux would become main stream. Now
that is has, you still have access to source based distros if you want
http://www.gentoo.org/
It seems that your issue is that there are flavours of Linux that just work
and people can use them with out knowledge of the underlying software. I do
not think that I have been diminished by this, in fact the increase in
Linux user-base has greatly speeded up the provision of hardware drivers
imo.

> I remember what Fedora was like 12 years ago. It is a different product
> now. Then it was
> like walking on thin or thick ice one was never quite sure when it would
> fail - but it
> would fail. Today Fedora is at least a bit more robust. That's all one can
> say about it.
>
> Ubuntu? Sharp and snappy open as it was in the past -  now - a heavily
> branded Linux and a
> closed shop. Try and install the real version of Seahorse.

Which version? I'll give it a go, just for the hell of it.

> All your open source has been
> re-written for Ubuntu - at this goes for Fedora Opensuse and all the other
> major distros.
> Whereas in the past you installed real open source software - not a
> version that they who
> ever they are - think you will have.

> So for me Fedora-17 is just like Fedora-16 - with much fewer user options
> - much less
> choice in installable software - and all software re-written to fit in
> with Fedora. It
> will get to the point when only approved software can run on Fedora. Like
> Microsoft their
> software only runs on a Microsoft O/S without any backward compatibility.
> Fedora-17 is no
> different as are other Linux distros Ubuntu Opensuse.

Do you have a published roadmap  that supports your statements here?
Recently I heard on radio 4 that Andriod was being criticised for being too
open - in the context of vulnerability and it is the most locked down linux
that I have used.

Take a look at Minix http://www.minix3.org/

> But when you get to being over 60 have used Linux for 15 years or more -
> then you will
> have a little history. You will be aware of the changes. Perhaps in 30
> years time people

will be buying Linux with an end-user licence like Microsoft's. Who knows.

I have that amount history now and more with other systems. I'm sure many
others on this list do as well. No one else seems to support your position.