[Nottingham] scp on the go slow?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 17:12:42 UTC 2013

On 05/02/13 13:51, James Moore wrote:
> Single large file or many small files?
A single 65GB file being copied off RAID1 EXT4 on to NTFS (both spinning
rust).

> I don't know about Linux in this situation, but Windows chokes on
> files over 6GB because the standard NT function CopyFileEx maps the
>file to memory during copying
I have vague memories of there being some bug when copying to an MS file
system from GNU/Linux.  Details escape me just now, but mount.ntfs seems
to be killing the system.

There's definitely something going on as the rsync as now dropped to
900KB/s.  At least I can kill and resume rsync to speed it back up.
"rsync -vP source dest" is my friend.

To be honest, the USB back-up is non-essential as I now have a copy on
the desktop PC.  I just wanted to back-up pictures etc before I try and
add the KVM stuff to this server (and probably break everything knowing me).

> Incidentally, my current situation is this: I'm load testing a 4-disk
> PATA RAID0 array for storage/retrieval and fulltext search of many small
> files
This sounds really interesting, but I'm afraid I'm not really the one to
ask.  I know some things like FreeNAS can to kee-rayziness with their
indexing etc so long as they have the RAM; but I've never used them.

--
Jason Irwin