[Nottingham] Simple coding question ....

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sat Aug 16 10:52:29 UTC 2014

Hi there ....  I'm wanting to use a very old (1990s) commandline program
for personality typing using the Myers-Briggs system.  The original zip
file came with a precompiled dos executable and all the code to
re-compile.  I've sorted out most of the issues, but am left with:
In file included from ddli.c:47:0:
fpdio.c:24:5: error: conflicting types for ‘getline’
  int getline (FILE *fptr, char *line, int max);
      ^
In file included from fpdio.c:7:0,
                  from ddli.c:47:
/usr/include/stdio.h:678:20: note: previous declaration of ‘getline’ was
here
  extern _IO_ssize_t getline (char **__restrict __lineptr,
                     ^
In file included from ddli.c:47:0:
fpdio.c:137:5: error: conflicting types for ‘getline’
  int getline (FILE *fptr, char *line, int max) {
      ^
In file included from fpdio.c:7:0,
                  from ddli.c:47:
/usr/include/stdio.h:678:20: note: previous declaration of ‘getline’ was
here
  extern _IO_ssize_t getline (char **__restrict __lineptr,
                     ^

I've attached the included fpdio file.  It seems evident that gcc as it
is today uses something different from FILE * but these days my coding
is so rusty that I really don't know how to alter this one. Sorry if
this seems a stupid and elementary question.  I have tried calling the
windows executable from a Windows terminal under wine, but it runs and
completes with no screen output to the terminal.

If anyone is interested and wants the entire zipfile, please ask me
off-list.  It is less than 11k.

Regards,        Barry.