[Nottingham] Elementary OS

Benjamin Crowe sneblot at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 14:27:25 UTC 2014

I currently have elementary os installed on my Toshiba satellite as a
alternative operating system for when I just want to go online, as I'm
starting to find windows taking much longer to boot than I can be bothered
to wait for. Though I like the design of the os I am finding it difficult
to install certain software like Dropbox and such. Think I might try WattOS
next heats good things about laptop battery life using that distro.

Ben
 Hi, Benjamin.

I tried Elementary OS last year for a week or two on a spare machine. It
was as good as most lightweight desktops, but a bit fiddly -- at least I
thought it was. If you were looking for a suitable distro to replace Win XP
on an old machine, you could do a lot worse than take a look at Linux Lite
2. I run this on my laptop and replaced my grandson's old XP on his
Latitude D410 just this last week, and it works extremely well. It even
comes in as a download of about 700MB and will fit on a CD.

It comes with a fair selection of goodies, including an up-to-date Libre
Office and the Whisker Menu as default. What *is* fascinating about LL2 is
the number of prepared scripts for downloading even more stuff, such as
Skype and Wine. You just match the numbers, enter you pass-phrase and
Robert is your avuncular relation!

Give it a spin.

Best regards,

kk3