[Nottingham] Post-netbook revival?

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Thu Jun 12 14:25:59 UTC 2014

On 12/06/14 14:15, Martin wrote:
> Anyone know if this little beauty can be subverted to freedom:
> Sumvision Cyclone Nano2 Slim Dual Core Smart Android Media Player With
> XBMC pre-installed
> http://www.saverstore.com/product/20672865/Sumvision-Cyclone-Nano2-Slim-Dual-Core-Smart-Android-Media-Player-With-XBMC-pre-installed
> ARM Cortex A9 1.5GHz | 1080p Full HD 1GB RAM | 4GB + SD | WiFi, HDMI,
> USB ...or is that Crouton-ed only? Or is the only freedom the
> RaspberryPi all the way down? Cheers, Martin

I've just bought this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JABR3A0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the price, it's just amazing.  It comes ready rooted, and the spec
is better than the reviews suggest.  I almost got linuxonandroid
working.  Got as far as a debian commandline installation running in a
debootstrap environment in chroot mode.  I couldn't get a lot further as
an app called link2sd gets in the way, and if I remove it, I lose a lot
of valued storage.  I'm not brave enough to dump the Android OS and risk
bricking a lovely tablet - but I'm sure the hardware would be
well-functional with a linux OS. I don't like Android overall, but I can
perform all the things I want to do using it, so I'll put up with it for
now.

If anyone gets it up and running and tells me it's safe(ish), and a
step-by-step how-to, I might be tempted.

Regards,        Barry.