[Nottingham] SOLVED Ubuntu shutdown on Acer E15

Godfrey Nix godfrey at gnnix.co.uk
Mon Apr 6 06:46:22 UTC 2015

Hello folks,

Finally solved problem of getting daughter's new laptop to shutdown and
completely power off. Spent long time going through all the askubuntu
pages and tried all sorts of ideas from modifying parameters in grub to
blacklisting various modules.

The one that worked on this machine was to edit
modprobe.conf/blacklist.conf and add lines to blacklist two modules -
blacklist dw_mac
blacklist dw_mac_core

After rebooting, the machine now powers off when I select shutdown.

Maybe when I have some spare time I will look at those modules to try
and find out why they cause the problem, but for now I am happy to have
it fixed.

Godfrey