[Nottingham] glibc abort() (Re: [Talk] *TODAY* 7:30pm 17/05/2018: Software Freedom, Money, and Proprietary, and What Next!)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu May 17 12:13:39 UTC 2018

On 17/05/18 09:54, Jason Irwin via Nottingham wrote:
> On 16/05/18 15:50, Martin via Nottingham wrote:
>> Just for fun ( :-P ) for our talk/discussion, we enjoy a real
>> roller-coaster ride to whiz through the fun of how we got to the modern
>> day computing we know today, revelling in the antics of the various Big
>> Boys! We also have the elephant of Social Media, The 'Cloud', and
>> 'others'. And there is also FLOSS...
>
> Will this include RMS's recent rank-pulling over the maintainers of glibc?
>
> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/09/gnu_glic_abort_stallman/
>
> He's a bit like Dawkins in many ways.
> Smart, almost certainly correct, struggles to engage in a personable manner.

Thanks for that.

Rather a good/bad one, very sad, and hopefully suitably thought
provoking to kick the USA for how they appear to remain Biblically
'unbelievable'...

So, a well needed good blast from 26 years ago to hit home today:

#####
You have GNU sense of humor! Glibc abortion 'joke' diff tiff leaves
Richard Stallman miffed

FSF firebrand rails against purged abort() docs 'satire'
#####

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/09/gnu_glic_abort_stallman/

See:

Delete abortion joke
https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2018-05/msg00016.html

commit reversion without review
https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2018-05/msg00250.html

Meanwhile we have the real world where very sadly, that joke is still a
real world bad joke.

To pick up on some of the other notes in that article, we also very
timely have this news snippet this morning:

How physics gender gap starts in the classroom

There is also the very unfavourable skew whereby, at least in the UK,
the great majority of primary school teachers are all female, whereas
the majority of teachers for secondary school are male...

There is also the aspect that teaching is far far far too lowly valued...

So...

Do we really want to wait centuries to get a better more healthy balance?

Much more beer needed to fix that one! :-(