[Preston] dvd playing under linux

Richard Wellstead preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 6 19:39:00 2003

On Thursday 06 Feb 2003 19:08, Richard Revis wrote:

> On Thursday 06 Feb 2003 6:31 pm, Richard Wellstead wrote:
> > Just out of interest... do you need the region hack? I have a
> > LiteOn DVD drive and although there is a hack available and I
> > couldn't play anything but R2 DVDs in Windows, I can play any under
> > linux...! I was very pleased when I discovered that...
>
> The pioneer drivers are locked in hardware. However, I am about to
> try flashing them so wish me luck!

Mine are locked in hardware too... Maybe its the player I'm using
(MPlayer), but i thought it was the libdvdread and libdvdcss libraries
that allow you to use any region DVD... I have set up a friends pc with
Linux a few weeks back and he can also play any region DVD under linux.
He has an obscure make and model of DVD drive and we couldn't find a
patch for his drive... he'd used up the five or so firmware region
changes that the drive would do as well...

Oh well, maybe we're lucky...

Regards,

 Richard