[Rustington] linphone and linphonec

Paul Willis phwillis at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:04:29 UTC 2012

I have downloaded linphone for a look too. There are also apps for
Android, Blackberry and Iphone etc. As an aside, and knowing there are
issues between NAT and SIP that make life difficult for VOIP
softphones i did some Googling and came upon this site:
http://freecode.com/articles/nat-traversal-for-the-sip-protocol
which I found interesting and included this about Skype:
----------------<
Skype has found a very simple and nice solution for this problem: They
use the Skype clients that are not behind NAT to proxy all the data
for clients that are behind NAT.

This solution, technically speaking, is very good. However, there are
some moral and political reasons not to use Skype. One of them is that
if you are a Skype client outside the NAT, you don't know whose data
is passing through your computer. Another is that it is using your
bandwidth; after all, someone has to pay one way or another for
Internet bandwidth necessary to proxy the voice stream.

<Me again> Although a simplification, it seems that Skype users are
relaying their sessions through random unknown others which for me
also raises privacy issues. The writer has been part of the Yate
project which seems to be doing well and worth reading up.

Enough!

Paul