[Rustington] Ubuntu 12.04 Alternative Desktop Instructions

Stuart McFadyen stuart.624mcfadyen at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 18 17:04:50 UTC 2012

If you are running Ubuntu 12.04 and are interested in alternative Desktops to Unity, in view of the fact that we are not meeting this week, you might like to try (via Terminal) the Instructions listed below.

You will need to restart Ubuntu after installing a Desktop, then make your choice at the log-in screen (button left-hand corner).

I will re-visit my previous Alternative Desktops Demo when we next meet and we can then discuss any problems you may have encountered.

Bonne Chance !

Stuart.

Cinnamon Desktop

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install cinnamon

Gnome 2.x Desktop

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

Gnome Shell

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-tweak-tool

Kubuntu Desktop

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Xubuntu Desktop

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop