[SC.LUG] Re: SC digest, Vol 1 #104 - 2 msgs

Neil Lucock sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jun 1 12:39:00 2003

On Sunday 01 Jun 2003 11:00 am, sc-request@mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:

> Message: 1
> From: "Frank Mitchell" <mitchell.frank@bigwig.net>
> To: <sc@mailman.lug.org.uk>
> Cc: <rcgibson@iee.org>
> Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 16:58:48 +0100
> Subject: [SC.LUG] Windows XP & Dual Boot Setups
>
> I've only just discovered that if you buy a new PC from Curry's, a Windows
> XP Installation CDROM is NOT INCLUDED. In fact they said nobody else would
> include one, due to MS Licensing Restrictions. Am I the only one who's this
> much out of touch? Are there any PC Suppliers who include an XP
> Installation Disk? Can you even buy Windows XP in "stand-alone" form, as
> opposed to the Upgrade? It would certainly make a difference to the way I'd
> approach a Dual Install.

My wife has a Win XP machine from PC World. Same thing, the OS is copied onto
a "restore CD" Even more irritating is the fact that if you do need to use it
to restore your sytem, it puts it back how it used to be when you got it. All
your data is wiped away. They are so afraid of people copying their XP
installation CDs. (Why would anyone want to do that?)
Win XP is a bitch, it really won't let go if you are trying to install Linux.
(I installed Linux on a friend's machine) It prevented the LXF DVD from
booting (although the SuSE CD worked) and I had to use Partition Magic to
make some space.

BTW does anyone know how to change the settings in SuSE's internet connection
details? My friend gave me the wrong Supanet login name and I'm damned if I
can find out how to either add a new account or edit the present one.

ta,
Neil