[SC.LUG] Window managers (and CDROMs) [was Re: New Member Intro.]

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 16 22:14:49 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 21:07, Neil Lucock wrote:

> I've used SuSE for just over a year (I used Mandrake for a couple of
> years before that). It's pretty good for "just working" with one slight
> glitch: If you use the desktop icon (In KDE) to mount a CD,
[snip]
> Any ideas?

No. Never. About anything ;-)

As to window managers, I've left my beloved fluxbox
and twm, for ion2

http://iki.fi/tuomov/ion/
http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/
http://www.bzzt.net/~arnouten/ideas/ion/guidedtour.html (guided tour)

It gets rid of floating windows, and reduces mouse use
to bare essentials, without stopping you doing anything.
It's also incredibly configurable, yet sensibly
configured out of the box.

Follow the guided tour above, or apt-get install and
read the (useful) man page.

Anyway, as to the unmounting, what does /etc/mtab say
at various stages (after closing konq, after manually
unmounting)? What about the eject command, does that
work?