[SC.LUG] Transferring to linux

Matthew Tolley matthew at matthewtolley.co.uk
Sun Oct 7 12:05:23 BST 2007

Hello all,

Now I've transferred completely from MS to Linux (I was dabbling in
linux for years but not seriously), I have a few newbie-type queries and
would appreciate all help on them...

(1)     In MS regular Registry cleaning and spyware sweeps were needed
to maintain speed and security. What kinds of maintenance should I do
regularly on linux, and how often?

(2)     What file extensions in linux are equivalent to program files in
MS (such as .exe)? And where will I find them?

(3)    I've downloaded a firefox plugin as a .bin file - how do I
install it?

(4)    On other OSs, having more than one AV is a no-no. Is this also
the case on Linux? For some reason ClamAV hasn't configured correctly on
my machine. How do I fix this? Does anyone use F-Prot or Aegis and how
do you rate it?

(5)   I moved to Thunderbird because it seems the most highly
recommended email client (David's advocacy of Kmail notwithstanding).
Thanks to Robert who sent me the link on deleting duplicate emails (this
works really well). My mail headers in Thunderbird have way too much
information though (about 20 lines of it) - how can I change this? I
only really need the sender's email, addressees, date and subject.

(6)     I'm using Amarok because it's always so highly recommended in
the Linux magazines (seems to keep coming out tops in the reviews) and
it supposedly supports flac files, of which I have quite a lot. But when
I ask it to play .flac files it says "no available decoder". How do I
fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Matthew