[SC.LUG] Transferring to linux

Russ Phillips russ at phillipsuk.org
Mon Oct 8 08:37:47 BST 2007

On Sun, October 7, 2007 12:04 pm, Matthew Tolley wrote:

> (1)     In MS regular Registry cleaning and spyware sweeps were needed
> to maintain speed and security. What kinds of maintenance should I do
> regularly on linux, and how often?

The only sort of junk I've ever found on my machine is hidden folders in
my home directory belonging to programs that I no longer use. They don't
slow anything down, and they take up very little space, so I generally
don't worry about them.

In Linux, any file or folder with a name beginning with a dot (.) is
hidden. Programs usually store settings etc in a hidden folder in your
home directory, so you may want to check for such folders that have been
left behind after a program has been uninstalled.

> (2)     What file extensions in linux are equivalent to program files in
> MS (such as .exe)? And where will I find them?

Linux doesn't really care about file extensions. There's an "executable"
property instead - if this is set, the file is a program file.

> (4)    On other OSs, having more than one AV is a no-no. Is this also
> the case on Linux? For some reason ClamAV hasn't configured correctly on
> my machine. How do I fix this? Does anyone use F-Prot or Aegis and how
> do you rate it?

It's probably a bad idea to use more than one AV that does on-access
scanning. I've used Clam, but none of the others.

> (5)   I moved to Thunderbird because it seems the most highly
> recommended email client (David's advocacy of Kmail notwithstanding).
> Thanks to Robert who sent me the link on deleting duplicate emails (this
> works really well). My mail headers in Thunderbird have way too much
> information though (about 20 lines of it) - how can I change this? I
> only really need the sender's email, addressees, date and subject.

Sounds like you've got View->Headers set to "All". Try changing it to
"Normal". Also, in the headers area, there should be a [-] in the
top-left. Clicking that will reduce it to a single line. Clicking it again
(it'll have changed to a [+] will return the previous view.

Russ