[SLUG] Linux courses

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Wed Dec 11 13:18:03 GMT 2002

On Wednesday 11 Dec 2002 9:51 am, Adams, Jamie wrote:
> Al, what was that other training course you were doing a few months ago?
> Maybe I could put a link to these on the website somewhere.

Good idea Jamie.  I can't help but feel that getting people started in Linux
is probably it's biggest failing.  The help I've received from this group and
YLUG have been invaluable, but as a complete newbie I find searching the net
and documentation extremely frustrating.  But then you all know that.  :)

I've been very close many times to junking it and returning M$.  :(  It's only
because it's pretty obvious what advantages Linux offers that I've stuck with
it.  Even though I struggle so badly.  At the end of the day though, it's
purely self-inflicted.  I don't have to use an OS produced and run by
enthusiastic volenteers.  But anyway, you asked about the course.

The course your refering to is hosted by Henry White.  For details and
enrolement go to http://blt.basiclinux.net  It's very intensive but has a
mailing list and irc for help.

One of the things that the course does is get you to create a glossary of
terms.  I've found this quite helpfull.  Maybe we could have one available on
the SLUG site.  I'd like to be involved in the process of putting together a
searchable database for a glossary of terms if someone was willing to put me
in the right direction.  After all there's no better way of learning than
doing!  Ian's PHP thing perhaps?

Other stuff for the site could be a link to the Linux counter page at
http://counter.li.org  Get yourselves counted.  So far North Yorkhire lists
16 people.  I'm sure we can improve that.

Also a for sale/wanted page.

How about links to on-line tutorials people come across.  I've recently
started http://www.honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/  Which is a
non-programmers guide to Python.  Very Good!  For me anyway.

YLUG have recently started doing book reviews which would be good.  But maybe
we should be linking up with them for something like that?

It seems to me that there's lots can be done and I wanted to put some ideas
forward for the new year.

Hopefully see some of you tonight.