[SLUG] Debian install - config X with Geforce 4

aardvark llama anisotropy9 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 24 19:04:01 GMT 2002

Hello,

This is probably my last post since I moved to York last week. What with
that, the pressures of work and trying to bring up small children, it all
meant that I couldn't come along to meetings as much as I would like. Or
hardly at all.

Anyway, good luck. I will try and make it to the York LUG if I can and if I
see you there I will (finally) try and make good my beer buying threat.

Anyway, having had a minimal look at the support for NVidia GeForce 4 cards
with xfree86[1], I am not sure there is a driver. I've an aging NVidia TNT-2
M64 which uses the nv xfree86 driver and the xfree site claims that all
NVidia upto but not including the GeForce 4 *are* support[2]. However,
NVidia themselves do have drivers here[3] which may work. But I've not tried
them so I don't know if they're any good. Plus they are propriatory and you
might not like this. I wouldn't much.

(Configuring xfree86 was once really, really painful but is now simply
rather uncomfortable.)

Hope this helps and let me know how you get on. I've not left the mailing
list yet.

TTFN

:)w

[1] www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status22.html#22
[2] If I am talking Ancient Greek please let me know and I will try to
explain this...
[3] www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux