[SLUG] Debian install - config X with Geforce 4

Jamie jamie at scarborough.lug.org.uk
Thu Dec 26 01:27:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-24 at 13:39, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> This is mainly directed at Jamie as he has had recent experience.
>
> re the above subject line, could you please direct me to any useful links.
>
> It can't seem to recognise my card and I think I need to recompile my kernel
> with agp support??? That should be fun using just the terminal and no
> graphical tools to help a poor newbie like me :(

Apologies for the late reply, I have not checked my mail for a couple of
days. I will give you the steps I used to setup mine. My memory is a bit
poor however, so let me know if some of it doesnt work.

The first thing you have to do is recompile the kernel. Thankfully
Debian has a number of tools to help us through this.

1.	apt-get install kernel-package kernel-source-2.2.19 bin86
	debianutils libncurses5-dev libc-dev gcc make task-tcltk-dev' (all 	one
line) then follow the instructions in
	/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.

You will need to have the agp module loaded and any other modules for
devices you have, ie scsi and usb. Make sure you make a boot floppy if
you do not already have one. It came in useful for me on more than one
occasion!

2.	Download and install these packages: (dpkg -i [packagename])
	http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/nvidia-glx-src.html
	http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/nvidia-kernel-src.html

You will need to have your internet connection configured before you
install these as they download other packages. You can use the pppconfig
tool to setup your dialup connection.

3.	Follow the instructions in the readme's for the above files in
	/usr/share/doc/

This worked for me. Let me know if you run into any problems. It took me
a good few *frustrating* days to get it working.

Jay