[SLUG] Debian - Gnome 2

Adams, Jamie JAMIE.ADAMS at HOMEGROUP.ORG.UK
Wed Nov 20 11:32:01 GMT 2002

I know you are all probably sick of these Debian questions, but I have
installed  it again. And im going to stick with it this time!

Anyhow, im still having a few problems. I have searched through google, and
the documentation but cant find an answer, or anyone else that has had the
same problem.

I am trying to update my desktop. Ideally, I would like to install Gnome 2,
but its not going quite as smoothly as I would like it to.

I have followed the instructions and inserted the following in my
/etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb cdrom:[Debian 3.0 DVD]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
non-US/non-free non-free
deb http://people.debian.org/~kov/debian woody gnome2
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~kov/debian woody gnome2
# deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

Now, the instructions tell me to run:

apt-get update
apt-get install gnome gdm2

So I do and get the following:

jasmin:/home/jay# apt-get update
Hit http://people.debian.org woody/gnome2 Packages
Ign http://people.debian.org woody/gnome2 Release
Hit http://people.debian.org woody/gnome2 Sources
Ign http://people.debian.org woody/gnome2 Release
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done

jasmin:/home/jay# apt-get install gnome gdm2
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

  gdm2: Depends: libbonoboui2-0 (>= 2.0.3) but it is not going to be
installed
        Depends: libgnome2-0 (>= 2.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libgnomeui-0 (>= 2.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libgnomevfs2-0 (>= 2.0.4) but it is not going to be
installed
  gnome: Depends: bug-buddy (>= 2.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: gnome-control-center (>= 2.0.1.1-3) but it is not going to
be installed
         Depends: libeel2-2 but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: eog (>= 1.0.3) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: gnome-applets (>= 2.0.3-2) but it is not going to be
installed
         Depends: gnome-panel (>= 2.0.9-3) but it is not going to be
installed
         Depends: gnome-session (>= 2.0.7-2) but it is not going to be
installed
         Depends: gnome-system-monitor but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: gnome-terminal but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: gnome-utils (>= 1.106) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: libgail-gnome0 but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: nautilus2 (>= 2.0.7) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: yelp but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: gnome-media (>= 2.0.2.5) but it is not going to be
installed
         Depends: gedit (>= 2.0.1) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: file-roller (>= 2.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Also, sound still isnt working with the onboard chipset, the Alsa-Source
seemed to install okay, but im getting 'unresolved symbols' or something
like that when trying to load the module for my card. I went out and bought
a cheapy Soundblaster 128 PCI, but I had no joy with this either. Can anyone
suggest a decent (cheap) sound card?

Jamie Adams
Housing Assistant
Scarborough

Tel:  (01723) 340142
Eml: jamie.adams at homegroup.org.uk

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("Intended Recipient") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information, which is privileged and confidential. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message or any of its content by any person other than the Intended Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited. If you are not the Intended Recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible.

http://www.star.net.uk