[SLUG] Telnet Server!

Mark Feather akwexavante at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 24 02:11:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

Having spent many hours rattling my head between two Linux machines trying to get them to talk to each other i finally achieved it.

Rightly the inetd daemon was not installed.......When configuring "Network Services" using yast the process made references allowing the inetd daemon to process "Network Services".   The whole process failed to tell me that inetd wasn't installed in the first place!!! and i wrongly assumed that it was installed perhaps when the whole system was installed.

When the inetd daemon was installed i could connect to the P133 from the P75 but the connection was quickly lost, closed by the server (P133) itself!

What was also confusing was that the Telnet Server was installed but didn't respond either to a telnet connection or to the command: ps -ef | grep in.telnetd.   Why......because the Telnet Server is only run when requested for by a user, so running the command: ps -ef | grep in.telnetd when nobody is using the Telnet Server will return a negative response.

Something else was wrong!   When i looked at the path name for the  Telnet Server in the file inetd.conf it reads: /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd.   But the executable in.telnetd isn't in the directory tcpd!     I soon realised that tcpd was required and when installed everything now works just fine.   I understand that tcpd is required to control login & system/security checks before running the  service requested, in this case the Telnet Server.   When i established a telnet connection from the P75 to the P133 i ran the command ps -ef | grep in.telnetd on the P133 and there it was! in.telnetd was now running.   Disconnect the telnet session and the Telnet Server shuts down and the command: ps -ef | grep in.telnetd then returns a negative response again.

Magic!