[SLUG] FTP

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Sun Oct 27 17:16:00 GMT 2002

On Saturday 26 October 2002 12:09 am, Will wrote:
> >So I'm seeing a response from the ftp server, telling me that neither
> >GSSAPI or KERBEROS are accepted as encryption devices?
>
> I would phrase this slightly differently. Your ftp client is trying to talk
> and authenticate to the ftp server using GSSAPI and KERBEROS. The  server
> doesn't understand and won't send back the kind of data that the ftp
> program is happy with. I'm not sure what happens now. Either this is a
> whinge -- which is annoying -- or it tells you to get stuffed -- in the
> nicest possible kind of way. Which is more than annoying.

I did wonder if this might be the case, but was unsure.  And much better put
than my description, Will.

> > >ftp-client-krb5-1.2.2-17mdk.
>
> For me, that now makes it clear. Your ftp client is built with krb or
>
> kerberos support and instead something like:
> >ftp ftp.eff.org
>
> You are connected to ftp.eff.org
> Enjoy!
> Username:
> followed by the password prompt and where everything you type is open to
> view, it is trying other types authentication first.

Your description above is how I expected ftp connection to work and is how it
is shown in the tutorials I have.

So I need to find an ftp client which isn't built on KERBEROS_V4.  Can you
make any suggestions?

> >Whatever it is I type ftp at the command line and I'm away! :)
>
> Cool.

But that was how I always imagined ftp under Linux would be.  It's how I use
ssh also.

> Having tried a quick google I found stuff about kerberos like
> www.pdc.kth.se/kth-krb/doc/kth-krb_2.html#SEC2 on here
> www.pdc.kth.se/kth-krb.

I must give these a look.

> >I'm not even sure that this is a problem.  It just seems to be a form >of
> >error message and I hoped to correct whatever is wrong.
>
> The big question is now, despite all the whinging, can you connect to other
> sites OK? I tried the URL's you gave me and for anonymous connections they
> worked find. If you can do what you need to do, although annoying, I would
> try and live with it for a bit longer. Or install a non-krb version of the
> ftp client. I would have thought Mandrake would have one somewhere!

Connecting sending and recieving files isn't a problem.  In fact I've just
uploaded a 1.7Mb file onto Mark's ftp server tonight.  Had the same '500
AUTH' thing again.  But everything worked well..  I must search the Mandrake
disc's for another ftp client then.  I can live with it OK.  I just didn't
know if I should be worried about what was happening.  My Newbieness showing
I guess :)

Thanks again for your help Will, much appreciated.