[SLUG] If its not broken, dont (attempt to) fix it?

Adams, Jamie JAMIE.ADAMS at HOMEGROUP.ORG.UK
Thu Oct 31 14:11:00 GMT 2002

> ----------

	<snip>

> Leafnode is a small NNTP news server.
> wwwoffle is a web proxy that can cache pages for viewing while offline.
>
> I guess you selected the "server" task or similar at install time?

There was no option for server, workstation or anything like that. It pops
up with tasksel in the install and I chose:

	X Window System
	Desktops
	Dialup Station
	Games (of course :)
	Debian Jnr (for the little one)
	C/C++ Development

When you look at the choices in detail they do include a lot of things that
are not really related to the category they are in. In future I may just use
dselect.

> > It used to be a fairly painless process in Mandrake, you could do it
> through
> > the control center. In Redhat I used to use the ksysv utility, which
> worked
> > fine. I plumped for ksysv, told it that I was using Debian and started
> > remove the ones I didn't want. It all looked okay, so I saved my changes
> and
> > skipped past the warning that doing it all wrong could bugger up my
> system.
>
> Well the easiest way to remove them is just "apt-get remove leafnode
> wwwoffle".

Duh.. I should have thought of this.

> If you want to leave them installed but not have them start up at boot
> time, you can just remove their /etc/rc*.d/ scripts or maybe change the
> /etc/rc2.d/S*wwwoffle script to /etc/rc2.d/K*wwwoffle. (debian boots to
> runlevel 2 by default). This is what the various GUI sysV init editor
> thingies do.

It boots to X windows on mine (runlevel 5?), which is quite frustrating
because it does not test, or give you the option to test your X settings
before doing this. I managed to get it working anyways,

> debian comes with "update-rc.d" to make this easier, theres also a
> little curses GUI for it called "rcconf".

Thanks, I will have a look. Debian seems to be full of these useful little
utils.

> I don't know a simple way (other than ls /etc/rc*.d/) to get a quick
> overview of whats started/stopped at which runlevel, so i made a little
> perl script to do it (attached), chmod u+x it and run it, it will show
> lines like:
>
>        0 1 2 3 4 5 6
>   acct - - + + + + -
> apache - - + + + + -
>
> The numbers being the runlevel's, '-' meaning "gets stopped" and '+'
> meaning "gets started".

Cheers, thats very helpful. (note to self - must learn perl)

> I've never used ksysv, but if it destroyed your init scripts without
> saying "OK, im gonna destroy your init scripts now, are you sure?". Then
> i would file a serious bug report against it!

It was probably more my fault than anything, a lesson learnt well, anyway.

> > On bootup I noticed that there was a lot (loads) more information than
> usual
> > scrolling past, most of it said something about forcing loads and
> tainting
> > the kernel. It looked like this was something to do with the USB modules
> so
> > I used the modconf utility and removed them from the kernel. I dont use
> any
> > USB stuff anyway.
>
> I can't really guess what "forcing loads" would mean, but perhaps an
> init script that mounts your root filesystem read/write was deleted or
> such?

Possibly. I still cant work it out.

> If a kernel module isn't released under a GPL license, then it "taints"
> the kernel. http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted has more. Did you
> use some binary only kernel drivers?

Thats what I thought it meant, but it was complaining that the NTFS and USB
modules were tainting the kernel, im am almmost 100% sure that these are
gpl'd. I did install the Nvidia drivers, but they shouldnt have affected any
of the other modules should they?

Anyway, I reinstalled last night and most things seem to be working okay
now. Fingers crossed anyway, I really would like to get some work done on my
computer!

> Regards,
> Gav

> http://www.star.net.uk

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("Intended Recipient") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information, which is privileged and confidential. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message or any of its content by any person other than the Intended Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited. If you are not the Intended Recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible.

http://www.star.net.uk