[SLUG] If its not broken, dont (attempt to) fix it?

aardvark llama anisotropy9 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 31 19:53:01 GMT 2002

>Gavin Baker wrote:
>Debian's default runlevel is 2. Your display manager
>(gdm/kdm/xdm/wdm/...) will start at runlevel 2 (as will just about
>everything you install).
>
>It's just the redhat defaults that have a kind of run level "rule"
>(2: multiuser no nfs, 3: 2+NFS, 4: unused, 5: 3+X display manager).
I think there is a more general disagrement than simply between Debian and
Redhat. From my solaris sysadmin course notes -- and IIRC this is true for
AIX and Slackware -- there are the following Sys V runlevels:
0 Powerdown -- Time to unplug...;
1 System Admin -- (aka s or S mode) no networking enabled;
2 Multiuser -- no networking enabled (or at least no file sharing...);
3 Multiuser -- networking enabled with file sharing;
4 Administrator definable.
5 Maintenance -- this is a bit strange because of the linux usage;
6 Reboot -- like powerdown but then restarts the machine.

The BSD run levels are remarkably similar.

IME then linux distributions like slackware use 5 as the same as 3 but with
X enabled. However, in general -- or at least with commercial unices I have
worked with -- the default run level including X is 3.

So, there you go. You pays your money and you take you pick. The only thing
then that puzzles me is the choice by debian to use run level two as
default...

:)w