[SLUG] Re: OLD PC

Jamie jamie at scarborough.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 13 00:27:00 BST 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 08:24:27PM +0100, Clive Davies wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have just developed an interest in Linux and I am not sure how to get
> into it, or how to reply to messages posts, whatever it is but I have a
> 486 PC that the group is more than welcome to. Free of charge, no money
> exchange, it's 'the groups'. All I want to know is how to go about
> getting Linux on a PC. I have downloaded the .ISO image and I have come
> to a dead stop. I need to talk to someone who knows. I am not a PC
> novice, I have owned and used a PC for the last 10 years, but 9 months
> ago I bought a Mac, now I want to learn about Linux.
>
> Clive

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the offer of the computer.

The .ISO image you downloaded needs to be burnt to a cd. Using most popular windows 'burning' software, its just a matter of clicking the 'burn image' option. It should be in the documentation for your software. Someone may be able to give you specific directions if you let us know what software you are using to burn cd's.

Getting linux onto your computer after that is usually just a matter of booting from the cdrom to start the install process. Most of the installers are pretty fool proof nowadays (hah!).

Let us know how you get on, or if you come unstuck. You can post a message directly to the list by sending mail to 'scarborough at mailman.lug.org.uk'.

Cheers again for the offer of the computer.

Good luck.

--
Jamie Adams

SCARBOROUGH LINUX USER GROUP