[SLUG] Broken symlinks

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Wed Sep 18 11:58:00 BST 2002

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 7:35 pm, Gavin wrote:
> I forgot to ask which files these are?. Your package management system
> should tidy these up if it created them. Do you just want to find them
> all and remove them?

My main concern was finding out what they meant!  I'd like to thank both you
and Aardvark for your comments, I need to sit down and think through them to
make sure I undertand them correctly.

I found the .DCOP* thing puzzling because it seems to resolve itself if left
for a while.  I guess that is the package managment system cleaning up?  I
have noticed that when the red background dissappears the .DCOP file is
repeated below itself.

Other files however, seem to permanantly have a red background, for example,
from /usr/sbin.
-rwsr-xr-x	1 root	root	21204 Feb 22  2002 userhelper*
-rwsr-xr-x	1 root	root	  5860 Mar 15  2002 usernetctl*

Both have white lettering on a red background.  There are many files like
this on my system, at a guess probably 10 or so in /usr/sbin alone.