[SLUG] Broken symlinks

aardvark llama anisotropy9 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 18 13:44:00 BST 2002

>Gavin Baker wrote:
>aardvark llama wrote:
>
> > >'.DCOPserver_localhost.localdomain -> /home/al/
> > > .DCOPsever_localhost.localdomain_:0'
> >
> > This (I think) looks like a self referential symbolic link -- like for
> > example 5 above.
>
>nah, the file names are different in this case.
Whatever. I did use the 'I think' with the usual level of fuzziness that I
think, I think implies ;)

(There may have been some other links that could have been in place but
missing from the description. I also think that testing this using ls or a
stat wrapper would be better than speculating. Rather like I am now...)

>...but some filesystems can't contain an ':' in file names, so they
> >changed the ':' for an '_' and the symlink is around for backwards
>compatibility.
Cool -- I would like to shake the hand of the man who thought this up.  Can
you shed a little more light on this? ufs, vxfs and ext2 can take all sorts
of bobbins. IIRC umsdos can too.

:)w