[SLUG] Broken symlinks

aardvark llama anisotropy9 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 18 14:43:01 BST 2002

>Al Girling wrote:
>My main concern was finding out what they meant!

>I found the .DCOP* thing puzzling because it seems to resolve itself if
> >left for a while.
There is an interesting function call fuser -- so named before the
appearance of the eponymous chocholate bar -- that give various options will
tell you the process id's of any processes that are currently accessing the
file. You could than ps -ef | grep <process id> and find out what is
accessing the file.
>I guess that is the package managment system cleaning up?
I haven't a clue. `Whereof one does not no, thereof one should remain
silent.'

>Other files however, seem to permanantly have a red background, for
> >example,
>from /usr/sbin.
>-rwsr-xr-x	1 root	root	21204 Feb 22  2002 userhelper*
>-rwsr-xr-x	1 root	root	  5860 Mar 15  2002 usernetctl*
As I said before the colouring is configurable. On my box files with similar
permissions are coloured a particularly virulent green.

>Both have white lettering on a red background. There are many files >like
>this on my system, at a guess probably 10 or so in /usr/sbin >alone.
These are not symbolic links -- but this *could* be because your version of
gnu-o-vision is colouring files with the "set suid bit" inidicated by the s
in the -rwsr-x-r-x bit of the ls -l output.

:)w